Search This Blog

Friday, March 26, 2010

the earth is beautiful from the sky...but I'm glad to be on the ground.

What a whirlwind. This month has been absolutely insane (and it's not even the end of the month yet). Between doing homework for classes which seems never-ending, getting started in the call process, and family life in general, my months are usually pretty busy. But this month I added to the craziness by having three trips to do in the span of 14 days.

In the middle of the month my daughter and I got to fly to St. Louis, MO in order to visit my best friend Heidi and her husband Eric (he's a good friend too, but you know how it goes...). Heidi is in her first call in a town called Mascoutah, Illinois. It was a great trip and good to be with my daughter for a girl's weekend. The only downfall of this weekend was that my husband was sick at home trying to take care of our son while he was sick.

Then came my intensive weekend class (that was the reason for creating this blog). I went to Shalom Hill Farm with my classmates where we enjoyed fellowship, beautiful surroundings, and learning about our care for God's creation. The only downfall of this weekend was that I got horribly sick (thank you honey) and was sort of miserable while I was there. Okay, really miserable. I had to leave early to come back to the Cities and visit our Urgent Care center where thankfully they gave me some meds and I got to come home and rest.

Last, I flew to Omaha, Nebraska (after stopping in Chicago of course--heaven forbid we go directly there). In Omaha I met the other first call candidates that have been assigned to Nebraska and spent time with synod staff. We'll be moving forward with the call process too.

After all of this, I'm so happy to be at my own home sitting on my couch and blogging! It's time to be home. For tonight I get to ignore the pile of homework and housework to be accomplished this weekend and reflect on the experiences I've had over the past month.

As I've been flying through the skies this month (I don't fly for years and then in one month I fly way too much!) I've been looking out the window and "surveying" the beautiful grounds we have in America. But it also makes you look at your everyday surroundings in a much different way and I couldn't help but look down at the busy highways and the metropolitan areas and be a little sad that we're just going, going, going. While we care for our creation, we care for ourselves as God's creation too and with all the going I've been doing multiplied by the going I've witnessed at airports and from the air, I've seen the need for care that I know I have and that others around me need too. In ministry I hope I don't go so much that I forget that we all need a chance to stop going every once in a while and survey what it is we are surrounded by.

Here's to a night of being on the ground and NOT going!

No comments:

Post a Comment