Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Beginning...

Ok, so I've thought of blogging before...a few times actually, but have never really gotten around to it. The idea intrigues me. I used to be a big journal-er and I enjoyed it, so in some ways I feel like blogging is the new way to journal. But can one write with the same amount of candor in a blog as one can in a journal? I guess we'll find out.

The incentive that led me to actually acting on the blogging bug is a class I'm taking for my last semester of my seminary education
. The class is to fulfill my Education II requirement and is titled "Religious Education in Relation to Creation." It should be a good class. One of the requirements of the class is keeping a blog as a space where we will review a few books we're reading for the class and also so that we can follow the other student's experiences as we all go through this class. Another requirement is that we pledge to do something (differently than usual one would presume) in our lives that in turn helps creation. I've decided to make an effort to buy things that are natural or organic, made from recyclable things and able to be recycled in the end. This should be good for me and for the earth as well. For me, buying organic or natural when it comes to food should make me feel better about my health and support my husband as he tries to become a healthier person in general. For the earth, it helps because we are re-using instead of re-making and letting our things go into landfills and because we cut down on the chemicals used in processing and such.

I started tonight. I went to the store (Super Target of course, how could I possibly shop anywhere else?) and went grocery shopping. I found it interestin
g that there are a number of choices that I had never noticed before. I usually just go and buy what I like and want and I don't really look around for the other options. But guess what? They're actually there. It did make grocery shopping take a while longer though...My favorite find from tonight though: Sun Chips, Garden Salsa flavor (which are made from natural products and contain whole grains and just taste pretty awesome in general) that are packaged in "The World's First 100% Compostable Chip Package." I thought this was pretty cool until I got home and realized that I don't know what I'll do with the package since I don't actually compost...but pretty cool nonetheless. I'll try to add a picture (exciting, I know) when I figure out how to do that on here.

So, blog for class but check back to find other posts as well...


Ooo, I think I figured it out, here's that picture you all couldn't wait to see! (sorry it's sideways...)





No comments:

Post a Comment