Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ongoing thoughts on creation care....

Ok-so this whole creation care thing has infiltrated my life. Not that I'm an expert or anything, or that I do it perfectly all the time, because I don't. Definitely not anywhere close. But, I can't help but thinking about from time to time this past week.

For instance, on our weekly friends dinner night we usually use paper plates because frankly...there's a lot of people and I don't want to do the dishes. I suggested this week that we use regular dishes instead so we don't throw away our resources and fill our landfills...but, my husband threw the veto card on that one. (In all fairness, he's the one that probably would've ended up doing the dishes...so it's only fair for him to veto that one!) Perhaps biodegradable or made out of recycled product paper plates are in our future...

Or how about the fact that I bought "Green Clean" cleaning products to use in the house that are made out products that are 99% natural, plant and mineral-based products and have biodegradable ingredients, but yet, I clean with paper towels that are easily discarded when I'm done. Paper towels not so great for the landfills. So I found some biodegradable absorbent sponges to use instead. Usually I don't like to use sponges because they hold germs and yucky stuff whereas a paper towel gets thrown away with its germs and all. But these are made with recycled paper and 100% natural materials and I guess I can zap them in the microwave to get rid of germs every once in a while (or so I've been told...). And even if I buy them new once a month, that costs me the same as a bag of paper towels and is better on the landfills.

So here's something else though. Do I just believe the packaging on all this stuff or how do I know it's really good for creation?

1 comment:

  1. It's hard, huh? I think part of what keeps me going is knowing that there's no way to be "perfect" on any of this, just ways to participate in God's creation!

    ReplyDelete