Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

This Crazy Life

What an insanely crazy week...so in other words, another regular week in the Ruch household.

If there's one thing that has become apparently clear to me this week, it would be how it is that the Holy Spirit works in the lives of people and how, at some times, the Spirit is so apparent that you can't help but see it when you're looking at a person. (you'd think that as a Seminary student in her last semester of schooling this might be apparent all the time, but alas, us seminarians are human beings like any other and we too have to work at seeing the Spirit sometimes!)

I've been working with a friend who has recently been diagnosed with cancer and I've spent a lot of time with him in the hospital and at his home, just helping him in whatever way he needs and is helpful to him. What has amazed me though, is how I feel like he teaches me something every time I see him. I see the Spirit working through him so apparently that it just amazes me. It comes across in his attitude toward his health condition right now, how he continually talks about being blessed, and more than anything, in his attitude toward those who are giving him care. He was recently in the hospital again for a short time and the way in which he treated his care-givers (from doctors, experts, and the like to nurses and custodians and office workers too) has just amazed me. It seems as if he cares as much about their well-being as they do about his.

I guess what all of this teaches me is that our Christian values and teachings are in play all the time, not just when we're feeling great and in shape. And it inspires me to treat others better.

Most of all, it inspires me to keep serving others, even when I'm tired and life is crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment